BASIC BAKING POWDER BISCUITS
2 C. Sifted unbleached all purpose flour or
whole wheat pastry flour
1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender. It should look like coarse meal.
3. Make hollow in flour and stir in enough milk to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl and sticks to the mixing fork.
4. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead 15 times. Roll out to ¼” to ½” thick.
5. Cut with 2” biscuit cutter and place cut outs on ungreased baking sheet. Place close together for soft sides; 1” apart for crusty sides.
6. Bake at 450ºF 10-12 minutes or til golden. Makes 12-16 biscuits.
VARIATIONS OF BAKING POWDER BISCUITS:
Add these variations to flour mixture before
CHEESE: ½c. grated cheddar cheese.
ONION-CHEESE: ½c Cheddar cheese, 1 T. minced onion.
BACON-CHEESE: 1/3 c. crisp, crumbled bacon, 1/3 c. cheddar cheese.
BUTTERMILK BISCUITS: Replace milk with buttermilk and add ¼ t. baking soda to dry ingredients.