1. Bread Crumbs: Place stale bread in blender and chop til crumbs.
2. Dried Bread: Place fresh bread in single layer on rack in oven at 300º F. for 10 min. Turn bread and repeat. Remove from oven and cool on rack. Cut into “CROUTONS” or place in blender for bread crumbs.
3. Use leftover pieces of stale bread for French toast. Mix 1 egg and 1/4 c. milk , 1/2 t. salt, 1/8 t. pepper. Dip bread and fry in slightly greased skillet. Turn once and serve. Using “flavored” breads make interesting French toast.
4. Make Bread Pudding by pouring Custard Recipe over broken stale bread pieces and baking at 325º til knife inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Leftover pancakes make a great snaack by placing grated cheese in center, fold, and microwave til bubbly 3-5 min. You could also add bacon crumbles, leftover ham, minced onions, chopped peppers, or chopped tomatoes with the cheese. Not recommended for “fruity” pancakes.
6. COOKED GRAIN RECIPES:
1 c cooked grain
In large pot brown onion and garlic in oil. Add grain and stir cooking til heated. Add vegetables and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 30 min or til vegetables are cooked.
Egg Foo Young with leftover cooked
1/4 c each of chopped onion, celery,
carrots, & green pepper
Sauté' vegetables until nearly done. Add grain and heat through. Add soy sauce and salt. Stir together. Add eggs and blend together. Continue cooking til eggs cooked.
Leftover grain salad:
2-3 cups leftover grains (all the same or a
combination of grains)
Toss together and serve with your favorite
BASIC COOKED BEAN RECIPES:
2 c. cooked beans, mashed
Serve with shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese over top.
1/2 c. water,
Cook veggies in 1/2 c water for about 10 min. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Bake in oven at 350º F for about 1 hour til liquid is absorbed. Cool. Then mash (puree). Chill before serving. Great as sandwich base or as dip for veggies.
2 c. cooked beans
Mix together, Place in casserole. Bake at 350º for 30-45 min.