BASIC PIE DOUGH RECIPE
2 c. flour
1. Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal or tiny peas.
2. Sprinkle on cold water, 1 T. at a time mixing with a fork. Add water only to driest parts and mix together. Continue til dough is moist enough to hold together but not sticky.
3. Divide dough into two balls, smooth with hands. Wrap in wax paper and chill in fridge 30 min.
4. Flatten each ball and smooth edges. Press into flat circle on lightly floured surface. Flour rolling pin and sprinkle flour on top crust.
5. For bottom crust: Roll out from center in all directions to 1/8” thickness., making circle big enough to fill bottom of pan about 10-11”.
6. Gently fold dough in half and position into pie pan with fold in center. Unfold and fit into pan, using care not to stretch dough.
7. For top crust: Roll dough as for bottom crust. Place filling in pie pan lined with first crust.
8. Fold dough in half and lay across pie with fold at center. Unfold dough
9. Using left thumb and forefinger (for right-handers), form a “C”. Place on outer edge of crust pushing gently to center. With right forefinger, place on inner edge pushing gently into “C”. This will crimp you pie crust.
10. Take butter knife, line it against pie pan and gently turn pie, cutting excess crust as you turn.
11. Be sure to cut vents in top crust or prick with fork to allow steam to escape.
For 1 crust pie:
Use 1 c. flour, 1/2 t. salt, 1/3 c + 1 T shortening & 2-2
1/2 T cold water. Follow directions above.
For baked pie shell: Prick entire bottom & sides with fork. Bake 450º for 10-15 min. Cool before filling.