BASIC YEAST DOUGHNUT RECIPE
1¾ c. milk
1. Scald milk; add 1/3 c sugar, butter and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Sprinkle yeast in warm water; stir to dissolve. Stir into milk mixture.
3. Add enough flour gradually to make stiff dough. Turn onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and satiny; about 7 minutes.
4. Place in lightly greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place til doubled, 1½ hours.
5. Turn dough onto board and divide in half. Roll dough to ½” thickness and cut with floured doughnut cutter.
6. Place on waxed paper and cover with cloth to let rise til double about 30 min.
7. In a deep fryer set at 375ºF, fry a few doughnuts at a time in hot salad oil. Drain on paper toweling.
8. Spread with thin glaze of confectioners sugar or shake in paper bag with sugar to coat.
MAKES 3 DOZEN.
THESE CAN BE FROZEN AND THAWED FOR EATING
VARIATIONS OF YEAST DOUGHNUTS:
CINNAMON SWIRL DOUGHNUTS: While dough is on first rise, mix together 2 T. sugar and 1 T. cinnamon. When you turn out dough, divide in half and roll to 18x8” rectangle. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar evenly over top. Starting on long side roll up jelly roll fashion and seal edges. Cut in 1” slices. Place on ungreased baking sheet and do not cover. Let rise 30-45 min. Fry. Drizzle with confectioners glaze to which you have added ½ t. cinnamon.